It’s been a minute because the last few weeks have been crazy for me. Opportunity has been knocking on my door and I’ve been stepping into it. So I want to take a few minutes to encourage someone and motivate you. This is coming from a girl who the odds were against, but I made it and you can too.
My daughter will be 15 in a couple of weeks. It’s crazy, I have been a mother longer than I have been an adult. We grew up together. Despite what the media says about young, single mothers… I made it. The road was not easy. I made mistake after mistake as a result of bad decisions. Right now even though I have some obstacles, I also can look around and see I have most of the things I once prayed for. So here’s a few of my keys to success:
1. I was so unhappy in Martinsville and needed the escape. I wasn’t leaving to get away from drama or violence or anybody. It was personal. I knew I couldn’t grow there, so I got out. Now let me warn you, be careful if you decide to move to a bigger city. With a bigger city comes bigger expenses. You’re going to pay more to live nice. I saw posting last weekend Facebook stating they pay 400-600 for two and three bedroom houses in Martinsville. That’s a joke in Greensboro. You’ll be lucky to rent an apartment for that. So make sure if moving is what you want, you can afford it. I struggled in the beginning. But it made me work harder and be wiser with my spending. Follow your heart, but make sure you use your head. And don’t get it twisted you can be successful in a little town just as you can a big city. I’ve seen it! My word of advice is if you move, make sure it’s a good move. Not only for yourself but you’re family if you have one.
2. Pay your bills on time!! I can’t stress this enough to my kids. I made horrible money decisions in my early years and refused to pay bills on time. You can make as much money as you want, but if your credit messed up it means nothing. People out there that have good credit is winning. They can have whatever they want, whenever they want it. If you’re credit is not where you want it, consult a financial advisor. Make 2016 the year you get that credit right.
3. I don’t care what your current job is… Get up every morning and get dressed for the job you want and the attitude like you already have it. Everyday of your life is an interview. You never know who’s watching you or where that dream job offer may come from. I don’t care what you position is right now, if you want to be a CEO, the next Oprah or whoever. Carry yourself like it daily. Be careful what you post on social media. You don’t want the wrong image to be portrayed of you. Keep it cool and classy! You never know who’s watching,
4. Go for what you want. In 2012 I had a pretty high paying job here. But I hated that job with everything. So I started applying for jobs I wanted. I had been in supervision, so I wanted to go back. I applied for a job I had zero experience in and by Gods grace I got it. So don’t be afraid to step out there. The job or career you want is waiting for you. Don’t be afraid to hear No. It just means it wasn’t time. Keep applying.
5. Don’t try to be a people pleaser. My favorite saying “you can be as sweet as candy, and there will be someone who don’t like candy” . Forget them! Live your life however it makes you happy. You can’t be successful if you’re not happy, and you can’t be happy trying to please everyone..
6. Set goals and post them where you see them frequently. You want a new house? Find a picture close to your dream house and put it on your refrigerator so you look at it everyday. You want a dream vacation! Find pictures and put it in your wallet. Everytime you get ready to do unnecessary spending that picture will pop up. You have a monetary goal, write yourself a check for that amount. Don’t stop saving until you are able to cash that check. All of these motivators for achieving your goals work, I promise
7. Be happy for others and support their dreams. I try to support anyone I know or know of. If they selling it, I’m going to buy it. Don’t be a hater. You can’t come up on life knocking others down. You may not have the money to support them. But word of mouth is the best advertisement. Share their Instagram page or Facebook. I’m a living testimony when you support others it comes back to you.
8. Surround yourself with other successful people. The saying “it takes one to know one” is so true. You can’t spend time around people who talk but don’t back up with actions. If you see somebody where you want to be, reach out to them. Nobody know what it takes to be successful more than a successful person.
9. If there is something you think about, dream and passion for… Go after it! Successful people don’t evolve overnight. May take some tears and years. But it will be worth it in the end. Especially if you aiming in the end to become a “boss”.
10.Last but not least actually it’s number one… Keep God first. Have faith and believe that you can be anything you want to be. No obstacle should stop you from achieving your goals or being successful. Find a secret closet in your home. It can be your bathroom, your closet, your laundry room, wherever. Tell God your dreams and not be so quick to tell others. If a person don’t know your dreams, they can’t shoot them down.
I hope this helps someone. Most of all young mothers, and fathers, I don’t care what they say .. You can make it. And once you make it, you can encourage others to make it. I got a list of names of females who had kids at the age of 18 or younger. Right now, they successful, they getting money, they living their dreams, and I admire them. This not only applies to young mothers, this is for anyone. You can be whatever you want to be. No excuses in 2016.